WorldSkills Kazan 2019: come to win!
Competitors have visited their respective skill competition areas, as it is customary to do before the start of every WorldSkills competition. Known as ‘familiarization day’, the Competitors have set their work stations so everything is ready to display the best of their skills between 23-26 August. They had a chance to get experts’ advice and test the equipment and materials.
“The objective is to ensure Competitors are familiar with all material supplies, how the material operates and that they know the safety features. In some cases they have done a random selection of their workstation to ensure that they are comfortable with the processes, they are ready when they come in on the first day of the Competition. It is extremely important for competitors,” said Jane Stokie, Director of Skills Competitions of WorldSkills.
The Competitors are all set, here are some interesting facts so that you can familiarize with the 45th WorldSkills Competition:
- The Competition will utilize about 76,000 square meters of space at the Kazan Expo International Exhibition Centre, including permanent and temporary structures. That’s almost the size of Moscow’s famous Red Square.
- The Skills Competitions are constantly evolving to reflect our changing world. 2019 will see medals awarded in the new official skills Water Technology and Hotel Reception. No longer with us is the one-time competition, Radio and TV repairing! Others like Plumbing and Bricklaying have been with us since the first contests in the 1950s.
- What are the common Competition essentials required by all the 56 Skills, from Bricklaying to Bakery, at WorldSkills Kazan 2019? The answer – fire extinguishers, pens, and the essential coffee machines.
- Print Media Technology requires 150,000 sheets of paper for the Competition, the biggest single quantity of equipment. Plumbing and Heating gets through 30,400 screws. Restaurant Services will use 1,000 cocktail sticks.
- The WorldSkills Kazan 2019 shopping list also includes 24,800 bricks, 1,944 drinking glasses, 450 paper chef’s hats, 24,838 individual fresh flowers, 22 drones, two helicopters, and 35,000 meters of electrical cable – that's almost four times the height of Mount Everest!
- Competitors in Aircraft Maintenance will use 65 different sizes and types of screwdrivers. Architectural Stonemasons need five different types of stone. Freight Forwarding Competitors get a map of the World. In all, the 56 Skills have made 21,412 requests for equipment for WorldSkills Kazan.
WorldSkills Kazan 2019
WorldSkills Kazan 2019 will be held from August 22-27. Close to 1,300 competitors from 63 WorldSkills Member countries and regions will compete in 56 skills. This will be the largest international event in Russia in 2019.
Kazan was awarded the right to hold the event in 2015, after a vote of WorldSkills Members. WorldSkills Russia works in all 85 regions of the country and is one of the priority projects for the federal government in the field of personnel training and economic development.
Press Office of WorldSkills Kazan 2019 Competition Organizer